YOUR ENGAGEMENT SESSION EXPERIENCE
Congrats on your engagement! I remember that feeling of being overwhelmed with excitement and joy knowing you are on the journey to marry your soulmate. Here is a step-by-step process of your engagement session experience, including: how to book your session, what happens after booking, what to expect the day of and how you receive your photos.
This information will help you prepare for your engagement session. Trust me it will be a lot of fun!
BOOKING YOUR ENGAGEMENT SESSION
- Want to book me? It is never to early to book your engagement session. Fill out my contact form to get the process started. Have questions first? Not a problem, ask me anything when submitting the request.
- I recommend booking your session right at sunrise or 1.5 hours before sunset. The lighting at those times is perfection. If you decide on a location that is inside then anytime during the day will work great.
- Once a date and time is decided on, a contract will be emailed to you as well as a deposit link. A deposit of $300 will hold your date and the final payment is due by the day of your session. All payments can be made securely online with a credit/debit card or bank account number. Checks accepted as well.
After booking YOUR session
- I will email you a questionnaire a few weeks before your engagement session so I can get to know you two a little better.
- Start thinking about the type of location you have in mind for your session. Examples: grass/trees, urban, lake/creek, old house/barn, mountain, an at home session etc. From there, I can give you some location ideas of where your session may take place. I recommend a type of location that fits your style as well as the overall look of your home. Ordering a large canvas from your portrait session to hang over your sofa will look very nice if the location we shoot at matches the style of your home.
- What to wear? I recommend wearing clothing items that coordinate, but do not match (you both should not be wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans). Be comfortable! I also suggest wearing clothing that is timeless, try to stay away from screen print t-shirts and stick with simple patterns, textures and layers. Accessories go a long way and look really nice in photos, such as a stand out necklace, scarf or a floppy summer hat. Wear clothing that first the season. Lastly, wear shoes that go with your outfit, running shoes don’t go well with a button up shirt. Preferably no flip flops if your session is in the winter. Want more specific ideas? Good ole' Pinterest has tons of ideas that I can share with you!
PORTRAIT SESSION DAY
Aim to be 15 minutes early! My engagement sessions rely on daylight and once the light is gone I can no longer capture photographs. Off camera flash is used sparingly for creative photos.
I recommend no more than two outfits. Time is crucial and an outfit change can take up 5-10 minutes of sunlight. Want more outfits? You can add on more time to your session, just let me know at the time of booking.
Though not necessary, getting your hair and makeup done by a professional artist can look really flattering in photographs and make you feel even more beautiful. It is also a great practice run for your wedding day.
Props can add a bit of your personality to your session. Bring along a cozy blanket, your dog (or cat!) or some champagne to celebrate.
I will help guide you both in feeling comfortable during your session. I will give you directions that lead you into poses and laughter. Have fun and trust in me that I will give you awesome photos! We are simply new friends hanging out ;)
AFTER YOUR SESSION
- Waiting for your photos to be delivered can feel like forever, to help pass the time, I will post some sneak peek photos within 1 week after your session on Facebook and Instagram.
- You will receive 75 hand edited photos within 4 weeks of your session. All photos will be delivered through a beautiful online gallery that you can share with friends and family. You can download all high resolution photos right to your computer and order prints through the best professional photo lab. You may also print photos from any place you choose.
- Additional items are available for purchase, including handcrafted albums for your coffee table and gallery wrapped canvases for your walls. Contact me for a cost estimate. There is no better way to display your engagement session investment!